Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Delimma

This is a post that is definitely different than my usual, however it still may pertain to the general theme. :) This job has its stresses, its ups and its down. Yet, somehow, they seem to be easier to handle within the job than in my personal life. I have a dear friend, who at one point worked in this field. She's what I would tongue-in-cheek call, "emergency services royalty" her father is a career fire fighter who is one of our assistant chiefs, and her mother is an ER lifer. She's also an alcoholic. She left the PD a month and half ago in order to seek help, specifically, AA. Two days ago, she fell off the wagon. I'm so torn right now because I know I need to call her parents, who have threatened her with rehab if she relapsed, but at the same time I want to give her another chance to get it together. My brother is accusing me of ignoring the problem and coddling her, I don't feel that this is the case because being an alcoholic isn't her only issue. I just don't want to betray her, but I want her to get help. Sometimes, what makes me so good at this job, makes me a horrible friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment