Monday, January 18, 2010

Introduction

Little or no introduction should be needed to understand the concept of this blog. Truthfully, little or no intelligence is required, either.

I've been here for over a month, a true rookie, definitely not sure what the hell is going on or what I'm doing, which is scary. However, I haven't cussed anyone out on the phone, I've been amazingly diplomatic, which surprised me. :)

I work the third shift, 11-7 and its amazingly weird and boring.
Something I've learned very quickly, especially this week, is the impact that personal issues can have on work performance.

Two days ago, the man I call dad was rush to the emergency room with textbook heart attack symptoms. Sure, he's been sick before, but it's never been life threatening. However impartial and disengaged you are, it's hard to be completely objective when this happens, namely due to that sneaky little bastard known as stress.

I guess I should clarify, this may be the first time I've been an emergency dispatcher, but stress isn't an unknown - promise. I'm also a fulltime college student. Finals are enough to push anyone over the edge.

I still have my moments, paging out a fire to a 'museum' which was in reality a motel - go figure. I'm a big fan of never saying the same thing twice on the radio and cleared traffic on nearly every officer before getting it right.

It's been an interesting experience for sure, hopefully one that will last.

No comments:

Post a Comment